I have started to ask myself a series of questions each morning. They could easily be questions that elicit guilt within me. Part of the exercise is to remind myself that I ask myself these questions to encourage mindful decision making throughout my day. They are not to make me feel guilty.
These are the questions:
- What am I going to eat today?
- Who am I going to talk with today?
- What am I going to contribute today?
- What am I going to feed my brain with today?
- How am I going to move today?
- What time am I going to go to sleep tonight?
They seem like rhetorical questions, but I do not take them this way. When I answer 'pizza and chips' to the question 'what am I going to eat today?', I do not feel bad about this. I feel that I have made a deliberate decision to eat in that way, aware of what the impact will be on my body, and that tomorrow my body will need something different, and probably more nutritious.